These delicious zucchini boats are the perfect appetizer or entree to please a crowd! This green summer squash is a good source of vitamin C and potassium. The inside of the zucchini is the perfect vessel to hold fillings. These boats are filled with protein-rich quinoa, flavorful veggies, and topped with a crunchy toasted almonds for a tasty crunch. You can slice them into smaller portions as an appetizer or leave them as-is for an entrée portion.
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced half lengthwise
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoons chives, chopped (leave some for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450°F degrees.
- Place ½ cup of dry quinoa in a saucepan with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until quinoa has absorbed all the water. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and set aside.
- Slice zucchini half lengthwise and remove the flesh from the center with a spoon. Brush zucchini with olive oil and place faced down on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spread the almonds out. Stir the pan frequently until almonds are lightly browned. Set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil in a skillet and cook the garlic, shallots, chives, and pepper until soft and fragrant. When quinoa is ready, mix it into the veggie mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture into the zucchini boats, top with chopped almonds and chopped chives.
By Joanna Li, R.D. - Expert Dietician
Unfortunately, this is Joanna's last post with us. We wish her the very best as she #slays with greater opportunities in her day job!