Many Caesar salads are drenched in salad dressing and can be high in sodium and calories. This recipe is a lighter take on the classic chicken Caesar salad. Instead of croutons, roasted chickpeas make for a great replacement, packing in some protein, fiber, and iron. When making chickpea croutons, you can use a variety of spices from cumin to paprika to season them and enjoy the leftovers as a snack! This creamy Caesar dressing is made with Greek yogurt and the salad is topped with oven roasted chicken breast and crunchy chickpea croutons.
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts (four 4-ounce portions)
- 1 15.5 ounce can of chickpeas, drained
- olive oil
- 6 oz plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice from half a lemon
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon of water
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 cups of kale, destemmed
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse chickpeas under water and drain well.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Spread chicken out on the baking sheet and roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- Place chickpeas on a separate lightly oiled baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and roast in the same oven for 25-30 min until crunchy and slightly browned.
- While the chicken and chickpeas are roasting, make the dressing by combining the Greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and water in a blender and blend to combine well.
- After the chicken and chickpeas are done, set aside and cool for 5 minutes and slice the chicken breasts.
- Assemble the salad by tossing the kale and romaine lettuce in a bowl and portioned out onto four plates. Top with chicken and chickpeas and drizzle with creamy yogurt dressing.
By Joanna Li, R.D. - Expert Dietician